MACED is looking for a highly motivated and experienced professional to join its staff as Lending Director. MACED’s enterprise development program includes a robust commercial lending portfolio, a technical assistance program featuring both one-on-one and classroom based training, and comprehensive community-based development strategies. We are seeking a Lending Director to be responsible for the leadership, development and effective implementation of our lending work in a way that integrates our lending strategies within MACED’s overall organizational mission and five year plan, focusing on a just transition to a new economy for Appalachia.
The Mountain Association for Community Economic Development (MACED) is a 43-year-old multi-strategy economic development organization that seeks to transition Eastern Kentucky’s economy into a just and sustainable post-coal future. We work with people and places in Central Appalachia and Kentucky to build a strong and diverse economy, increased family well-being, healthy and protected land, air and water, and an effective and accountable democracy.
MACED is a fast-paced, dynamic and growing organization with a 29-person staff that manages over $33 million in total assets. MACED seeks to make meaningful progress towards a Just Appalachian Transition through the following core strategies: 1) investing capital in local enterprises and communities, 2) demonstrating local-sector development ideas, 3) engaging in research, communications and advocacy for policy and narrative change, and 4) building entrepreneurial and leadership capacity.
Program leadership, management and development
- Serve as the thought leader and chief strategist for the development and growth of the lending program, ensuring that the lending program is aligned with MACED’s overall mission, vision and goals, including integration with other MACED programs.
- Lead, inspire and manage staff to achieve programmatic deployment and impact goals through sharpening our lending strategies and developing innovative new strategies that address regional needs and opportunities while balancing community benefit and long-term wealth building with risk management.
- Work with the team, as needed, to originate and underwrite loans.
- Lead the development of strategies for framing what equitable access to capital looks like for MACED, and proposing realistic, yet bold goals to reach people/communities who have traditionally been left out.
- Work with the Communications team to actively market MACED’s lending programs, plan campaigns and provide information on the lending program for external communications and marketing; provide clear internal communication organization wide regarding the lending program’s role in our vision and organizational goals. Empower and work with staff to communicate about the impact of our work and share our stories.
- Review and evaluate MACED’s current lending program and take action as needed to improve efficiency, increased impact for communities and underserved people, and better alignment with MACED’s new strategic plan.
- As a member of MACED’s Management Team, participate in overall organizational planning and problem solving; with the lending team, lead annual program work planning and budgeting; monitor outcomes and impacts and as needed revise plans accordingly.
- Coordinate with the Chief Financial Officer to oversee MACED’s loan portfolio, monitor its overall health in a manner consistent with MACED’s values, and develop and implement risk mitigation strategies as needed.
- With MACED’s President and development staff identify and assess potential new sources of grant funding, earned revenue and capital; assist in the development of written proposals and reports as needed.
- Supervise lending staff, currently including three full-time employees working across three MACED offices. MACED’s supervision focuses on empowerment with accountability, including supportive coaching, problem-solving, and other forms of direction and assistance.
- Participate in relevant networks of community economic development and sustainable development practitioners across the state, region and country.
- Work with MACED’s Board of Directors and Loan Committee as needed.
- Represent MACED at conferences, events and functions when needed.
- Practice safety in all aspects of the job.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications and Characteristics
- Minimum of five years of experience working in lending or commensurate experience in a related field, including experience in the following: financial analysis; leading teams; skillfully and respectfully supervising the work of others; project design, planning and management, including budget responsibility; leveraging technology and data to drive results; and developing program strategy to align with organizational mission and goals.
- Minimum of a four-year college degree in business, economics, community development, management, or a related field.
- Committed to innovative action, sustainable development, and economic, environmental, and social justice.
- A demonstrated understanding of impact lending and just economic transition.
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Highly self-motivated, well-organized, attentive to detail, creative, able to work on multiple projects at once while setting clear priorities.
- Close vision with or without corrective lenses necessary for computer work.
- Manual dexterity needed to operate computer.
- Able to perform assigned duties in a time-efficient manner.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive. Either insurability on MACED’s group vehicle policy or access to a reliable vehicle for regular trips.
Preferred Qualifications and Characteristics
- Previous CDFI lending experience.
- Significant knowledge of and appreciation for the Appalachian region.
- Experience with commercial lending and capital-based programs.
- Experience leading multi-site teams.
- Experience living and/or working in rural places, especially Appalachia.
- Master’s or similar advanced degree in a related field.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or working with entrepreneurs.
- Experience in accounting and spreadsheet development.
- Experience with program evaluation.
- Experience as a group facilitator.
- Understanding of marketing.
This full-time position offers a competitive salary based on experience, with a generous benefits package. This position’s location is flexible between MACED’s offices in Berea, Paintsville, and Hazard, Kentucky. MACED is an equal opportunity employer. MACED is committed to principles of diversity and equity and encourages applications from all people.
Please e-mail your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to Lending.email@example.com . Application review will begin February 3, 2020 and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled. For more information about MACED, visit www.maced.org. Please no drop-ins.
|Job Category||Enterprise Development, Management|